Special delivery! United Way's BookStop visits a community near you this summer.
The BookStop is a free, pop-up book fair that will visit three to six locations in a given community over the course of one day. Each stop will offer free children’s books, kids entertainment and resources for parents and families, including public library sign-ups.
The BookStop's goal is to promote childhood literacy, strengthen partnerships between community members and organizations and get kids excited about school.
“Increasing access to books is critical to developing an early love for reading, and that love for reading will grow into proficiency and overall school success in the future,” said United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania education program manager Jesse Sprajcar.
“Projects like the BookStop allow us to engage the community and provide free books and resources to the children and families that need them the most.”
The BookStops are powered in partnership between United Way, Greensburg Salem School District, Laurel Highlands School District, Derry Area School District and UPS.
So far this summer, the BookStop has made 17 stops in Westmoreland and Fayette Counties, distributing over a thousand books and resources to hundreds of children and families.
Visit an upcoming BookStop near you. All are welcome!
Friday, August 4 - Fayette County Fair
- We'll be here all day! Visit us beside the 4H Barn.
Thursday, August 10 - Greensburg Area
- Greensburg YMCA - 9:15 am
- South Greensburg Municipal Park Playground - 10:30 am
- Hutchinson Elementary School - 11:45 am
- Lynch Field (pool walkway side) - 12:45 pm
- Autumn Brook Apartments - 2:15 pm
- Delmont Dairy Queen - 3:30 pm
Friday, August 11 - Derry Area
- Harvest Center for Creative Learning - 11:00 am
- Derry Community Pool - 12:00 pm
- Keystone State Park, Beach Area - 1:30 pm