Partnering with our business community to create more opportunities for students.
United Way works local companies to raise funds for students through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC), a program of the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.
Through the EITC, we support some of our established educational programs, as well as special projects and initiatives. These include:
- Pre-K Scholarships - United Way coordinates a special, need-based pre-k scholarship program for local families - which is funded entirely by the EITC.
- BookStop - A mobile book fair that debuted in the summer of 2017.
- Raising Readers - United Way's parent book club program, which teaches parents and guardians how to read to their child daily.
- During the 2017-18 school year, United Way awarded pre-k scholarships to 28 local families scholarships, totaling nearly $40,000. Scholarships covered all or a portion of their child's pre-k education for one year.
- During the summer of 2017, United Way's BookStop made 28 stops, delivering 1,500 books to 700 kids and families.