Partnering with our business community to create more opportunities for students.
United Way works with local companies to raise funds for students through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC), a program of the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.
Through the EITC, we support a number of special projects and educational initiatives. These include:
- Pre-K Scholarships - A need-based scholarship program helping families enroll their children in high-quality pre-k. Administered with participating pre-schools.
- Companies in the Classroom - Connects companies and schools to provide supplies and reading opportunities to volunteers and children.
- Raising Readers - A book club that provides tips and resources to parents and guardians on reading to their child daily.
- During the 2017-18 school year, United Way awarded pre-k scholarships to 28 local families, totaling nearly $40,000. Scholarships covered a portion of their child's pre-k education for the school year.
- Last year, Raising Readers clubs engaged 329 caregivers and distributed 1,728 books.
- During the 2017-18 school year, volunteers with Companies in the Classroom provided 960 books to 160 kindergarten and first-grade students.